PHIBSBOROUGH AREA

SOME SPELL IT AS PHIBSBORO

PHIBSBOROUGH AREA

Custom Search
Phibsborough. also spelled Phibsboro, is a mixed commercial and residential neighbourhood in Dublin, Ireland. The Royal Canal crosses the district at Cross Guns Bridge. Formerly, a branch of the canal ran to the Broadstone basin, later the site of the Midland Great Western Railway Terminus and currently the headquarters of Bus Éireann. Mountjoy Prison is locarted in the district. Phibsborough is also a parish in the Fingal South West deanery of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin. It is served by the Church of St Peter.

Phibsborough and Broadstone both have stops on the Luas Cross City Line located along the former Midland & Great Western Railway line. The Phibsboro stop is located at the railway cutting between the North Circular Road and the Cabra Road. It has lateral platforms. Access to the platform level is from both the North Circular and Cabra Roads via stairs and lifts from the new deck levels abutting the existing road over bridges.

The Broadstone stop is located at Prebend Street and the Western Way. The Phibsboro stop will serve the existing residential communities and facilitate interchange with bus services on the North Circular and Cabra Roads. The Broadstone stop will serve the Mountjoy area and the newly built Dublin Institute of Technology campus located at Grangegorman.

The Luas Cross city project will link the Luas Red and Green lines with a line from Broombridge in North Dublin (interchange with Irish Rail station) and St.Stephen's Green present Green Line stop. Services are expected to begin in December 2017.


The original Irish language name, Glas Mochonóg, means Monck's Green, which evolved to the variants Manogue and Minogue, and anglicised as Monck. This family held the local demesne at Grangegorman following inter-marriage with the Stanley family, becoming Stanley Monck. The Green served as a play-field and parade ground and was bisected by the main north road which ran from the foot of the Old Bridge of Dublin. Lying low between the stepping stone crossing of the Bradogue river (which now flows underground) ia a common called the Glasminogue. Between the Broadstone and the village of Baile Phib at Monck Place, it often flooded and turned into a quagmire. This area was part of the Grangegorman estate.

The Broadstone area underwent significant urban development in the early nineteenth century in order to fulfill the commercial and residential needs of the Royal Canal Company headquarters and Harbour Terminus operation. The later onset of John S. Mulvaney's Midland Great Western Railway and the railway engineering works brought further development to North Circular Road intersection and east to Blessington Street. The natural expansion of the city saw the development move north with residential housing reaching Phibsborough, and Glasnevin, and the Phoenix Park to the northwest.

St. Peter's Catholic Church and schools date from 1862. The construction of the church was controversial, resulting in a long and costly lawsuit. This dispute between the architect and builder ended in the courts and required the intervention of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Dublin. All Saints Church of Ireland Parish Church, Phibsborough Road, was completed in 1904. The renowned Tractarian, Dr Maturin, was rector for many years, establishing a High Church tradition of worship. The beautiful interior has been restored in recent years, having suffered fire damage in 1968.


At the time of the Easter Rising, the de Valera family home was at 34, Munster Street. Phibsborough has a number of memorials including one to Sean Healy, a 15-year-old member of the Fianna. Healy was one of two Phibsborough Road residents killed during the Easter Rising, the other being James Kelly (18). Local participants in the War of Independence include Harry Boland who was born in Phibsborough and grew up there. His friend Dick McKee was born at Phibsborough Road. One of The Forgotten Ten, Bernard Ryan, lived here until his execution in Mountjoy Jail. The sculpture by Leo Broe at Royal Canal Bank was commissioned in memory of the local contingent of Irish Volunteers.

The Broadstone Station was closed in 1937. These buildings constituted the Dublin Terminus, headquarters, and railworks of the Midland Great Western Railway and the Royal Canal Company. They now serve as the administrative centre and district bus garage for Bus Éireann and Dublin Bus. The impressive nineteenth-century main building, fronted by a classical Egyptian-style facade, and a Corinthian columnar service access is currently an eyesore. It awaits redevelopment as part of a planned regeneration of the area.

During his early years, author James Joyce and his family lived at No. 7, St. Peter's Road.