ST. JOSEPH’S CHURCH BERKELEY ROAD

FOTONIQUE

ST. JOSEPH’S CHURCH BERKELEY ROAD

Berkeley Road was originally part of St. Michan's parish. A wooden chapel-of-ease was erected in Berkeley Road in 1870 and this was replaced by the granite church of St. Joseph in 1880. The parish was created in 1890, an event marked by the erection of the north-western tower in 1893. The parish was entrusted to the Discalced Carmelites by the Dr Dermot Ryan, Archbishop of Dublin, in July 1983.

The community at St Joseph's serves a busy inner city parish. There is great local involvement in parish activities. With the influx of other nationalities in recent years St Joseph's has become a focal point for the Filipino community. That community now has its own choir which sings at one of the Sunday Masses. The church is the home of the St Joseph’s Filipino Association. The friars also help with chaplaincy work at the Mater Private Hospital and Mountjoy Prison.

One of most popular shrines in Berkeley Road church is that of St Gerard Majella, whose feast is celebrated every year. A three day celebration is held for the feast of St Therese every year also.

LOADING