OLD LIGHTSHIP - THE KITTIWAKE

Street Photography By William Murphy

OLD LIGHTSHIP - THE KITTIWAKE

[UPDATE AUGUST 2011]

Dublin docklands property developer Harry Crosbie has been refused permission to relocate the former lightship Kittiwake in front of the O2 Theatre, according to a report in the Irish Times.

Crosbie had intended to convert the 1959 built Kittiwake into a café and bar after raising the vessel from her River Liffey berth and position onto the campshire of North Quay Wall, opposite the music venue.

Dublin City Council told Crosbie that consent for the use of the campshires for the bar had not been agreed to by the board of the Dublin Dockland Development Authority (DDDA), which owns the quays, "and that said permission will not be forthcoming".

[OCTOBER 2010]

Old Lightship (Kittiwake - There Must Have Been Two with The Same Name).

Built 1957/59 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth; length 134 feet, breadth 25 feet, depth 15 feet; constructed of steel; cost £124,128; remains in Service, converted to automatic light float 1981. Sold out of Service in 2007. Now moored beside the Point Depot in Dublin.

I was delighted to read in the Sunday Times that this little red ship could be used as a tourist attraction. According the the newspaper Harry Crosbie, owner of the Dublin 02, is seeking permission from Dublin City Council to raise the 500-ton lightship, Kittiwake and place on the quayside opposite The 02 Theatre. Currently the lightship is berthed nearby the East-Link road toll bridge and acts as a notable floating feature to countless daily commuters.

I was very surprised to read the the Commissioners of Irish Lights (CIL) sold the 1959 built lightship to Harry Crosbie more than three years ago.

If Harry's plan for the the former lightship is given a thumbs up, the vessel would act as a "welcoming point" for cruise tourists. Subject to planning permission, the lightship would undergo a re-conversion project to create an open-plan café bar for a period of five years.

The veteran vessel would also have its lighthouse light restored and would "beam" across the docklands and entertainment venue. The lightship would maintain its customary 'red' hull with Kittiwake written in neon on the side.
[APRIL 2009]

Kittiwake
(were they two with the same name?)

Built 1957/59 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth; length 134 feet, breadth 25 feet, depth 15 feet; constructed of steel; cost £124,128; remains in Service, converted to automatic light float 1981. Sold out of Service in 2007. Now moored beside the Point Depot in Dublin.
[FEBRUARY 2009]

For Sale: The Kittiwake Lightship At The O2

Lightships in the Irish Lighthouse Service
This list gives all the available details of lightvessels stationed off the Irish coast
1.Name and details of vessel unknown
Stationed at the mouth of the River Liffey near the present Poolbeg Lighthouse from 1735 to 1768. Known as the Floating Light, or Palmer’s Light after James Palmer who managed the vessel. Usually referred to in modern times as the Dublin Lightship (the term lightship was not coined until the mid nineteenth century). The vessel had two lanterns placed at either side of a square yard on the mast which were lit at night from half-flood to half-ebb. By day an ensign was flown from half-flood to half-ebb. Auxiliary red and black buoys, called watermarks, were moored nearby.

2.Richmond
Built 1806; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; converted Dutch galliot – 103 tons; dimensions unknown; cost £1,500; original name Vronia Gesina, converted to a lightship with 3 masts and 3 lanterns. Name changed to Richmond after the Lord Lieutenant at whose request the Ballast Board placed a lightship on the Kish Bank. Placed on Kish Bank 16th November 1811. When returning from KISH on 1st October 1826 damaged by Steam Packet from Liverpool. Broken up in 1827.

3.Seagull
Built 1823/24 by W. Roberts, Milford Haven; length 67 feet, breadth 20 feet, depth 9½ feet; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £1,659; the first purpose-built lightvessel, built originally to mark the Coningbeg Rocks; withdrawn from station 1854; sold out of the Service by auction in May 1864.

4.Star
Built 1824/25 by W. Roberts, Milford Haven; length 67 feet, breadth 20 feet, depth 9½ feet; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £1,841; sold by auction in January 1855.

5.Relief
Built 1825/26 by W. Roberts Milford Haven; length 67 feet, breadth 20 feet, depth 9½ feet; construction oak frame, oak, teak and elm planking; cost £1,841; sold by auction in 1867.

6.Brilliant
Built 1832 by Brady’s of Dublin; length 67 feet, breadth 20 feet, depth 9½ feet, 140 tons; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £1,983; sold by auction in 1867.

7.Seagull
Built 1853 by Charles Hill of Bristol; length 82 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 11 feet; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £3,651; sold in 1900 to G. Harris of Bristol.

8.Petrel
Built 1853/54 by Money–Wigram of London; length 82 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 11 feet; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £3,800; sold in 1920 to A. Galsworthy, Appledore.

9.Brilliant
Built 1855/56 by Wheeler of Cork; length 82 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 11 feet; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £3,200; new mast fitted c. 1900 sold in 1913 to J. McCausland.

10.Star
Built 1856/57 by Wheeler of Cork; length 82 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 11 feet; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £3,230; sold in 1862 to Mr Scallan.

11.Star
Built 1862 by Charles Hill of Bristol; length 91 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 10 feet; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £4,189; sold in 1911 to T.W. Ward to be scrapped.

12.Relief
Built 1862/63 by Charles Hill of Bristol; length 91 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 10 feet; construction oak frame with oak, teak and elm planking; cost £4,189; sold in 1925 to J. H. Hinks.

13.Gannet
Built 1864/65 by Charles Hill of Bristol; length 91 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 10 feet; construction oak frame, oak, teak and elm planking; cost £4,991; when stationed at DAUNT, run into by Largo Bay during the spring of 1884; sold to T.W. Ward in 1928 to be scrapped.

14.Comet
Built 1866/67 planking by Dudgeon & Sons London; length 91 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 10 feet; construction composite iron frames, teak; cost £5,750; when stationed at SOUTH ARKLOW during a gale on 3 November 1899 parted her cable—brought up with spare anchor about 1½ miles North East of chartered position—replaced on station by Gannet and towed to Dun Laoghaire; sold in 1905 to T.W. Ward to be scrapped.

15.Shamrock
Built 1867 by Walpole, Webb & Bewley of Dublin; length 96 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 10 feet; construction oak frame with oak, teake and elm planking sheathed with yellow metal; wood mast carrying lantern and day mark; cost £5,125; sold in 1936 to S. Gray.

16.Osprey
Built 1867/68 by Walpole, Webb & Bewley of Dublin; length 96 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 10 feet; constructed of wood by wood; cost £5,125; sold in 1915 to Galsworthy, Appledore.

17.Albatross
Built 1874/75 by Fletcher & Farnall, Milwall, London; length 91 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 10 feet; constructed of wood; cost £5,650; Run down and sunk on Kish by RMS Leinster 8th September 1902. Salvaged, docked and sold to S. Jack of Glasgow in 1903.

18.Cormorant
Built 1876/78 by Victoria Shipbuilding Co, Passage West, Cork; length 91 feet, breadth 21 feet depth 11 feet; construction composite: iron frame, two thicknesses of 3 inch teak, sheathed with yellow metal; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £7,500; sold in 1942 to Belfast Harbour Commissioners, re named Lady Dixon. Established as Belfast pilot station, moored south of Carrickfergus from 1943 to 1959 with light & fog signal. Subsequently owned by Peter Horlock and moored at Mistley on the River Orwell in England. Subsequently sold to Graham Reeve and moored at Milton Creek near Sittingbourne. Bought c. 1990 by Terry Middleton who renamed her The Lady Dixonand moored at Hoo Marina, near Chatham on the River Medway in Kent. Sold to Gary and Christina Burton in 2008 and renamed Lady December and still moored at Hoo, Nr Rochester in Kent.

19.Torch
Built 1881 by Milford Haven Co, Milford Haven; length 91 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 11 feet; construction composite: iron frame, two thicknesses of 3 inch teak, sheathed with yellow metal; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £8,100; sold in 1945 to Hammond Lane, Dublin and scrapped.

20.Puffin
Built 1886/87 by Schlesinger Davis & Co; Wallsend; length 91 feet, breadth 21 feet, depth 11 ¼ feet; construction composite; cost £6,000; sank during storm on Daunt, 8th October 1896, crew of 7 lost. Salvaged by Ensor & Sons. Beached at Rushbrooke, sold 27th October 1897 to Ensor and scrapped on beach.

21.Shearwater
Built 1893/94 by Allsup & Sons, Preston; length 96 feet breadth 22 2/3 feet, depth 11¾ feet; construction steel hull sheathed with teak and fastened with naval brass bolts tapped, sheathed with muntz metal; one watertight bulkhead; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £7,900; sold in 1955 to Hendron Brothers Dublin and scrapped.

22.Guillemot
Built 1893/94 by Allsup & Sons, Preston; length 96 feet breadth 22 2/3 feet, depth 11 ¾ feet; construction steel hull sheathed with teak and fastened with naval brass bolts tapped, teak planking, sheathed with muntz metal; cost £7,900; sunk by a German submarine 28th March 1917 when stationed at SOUTH ARKLOW.

23.Kittiwake
Built 1897/98 by Allsup & Sons, Preston; length 96 feet breadth 24 feet, depth 12 feet; construction steel hull sheathed with teak and fastened with naval brass bolts tapped, teak planking, sheathed with muntz metal; one watertight bulkhead; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £7,900; the first Irish lightvessel to have an engine to work the windlass and the first fitted with oil engines for the siren; sold in 1956 to Hendron Brothers, Dublin and scrapped.

24.Seagull
Built 1900/01 by Allsup & Sons, Preston; length 96 feet breadth 24 feet, depth 12 feet; construction steel hull sheathed with teak and fastened with naval brass bolts tapped, teak planking, sheathed with muntz metal; one watertight bulkhead; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £9,890; sold in 1956 to Van Den Bossche, Belgium and scrapped.

25.Fulmar
Built 1903/04 by J. Reid, Glasgow; length 96 feet, breadth 23 feet, depth 12¼ feet; construction iron shell and floors, steel framing; five watertight bulkheads; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £6,600; sold in 1964 to Hammond Lane, Dublin and scrapped.

26.Comet
Built 1904 by J. Reid, Glasgow; length 96 feet, breadth 23 feet, depth 12¼ feet; construction iron shell and floors, steel framing; five watertight bulkheads; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £6,740; sold in 1965 to Turner & Hickman, Glasgow (Shipbrokers) and subsequently used as a broadcasting station by Radio Scotland.

27.Penguin
Built 1909/10 by Dublin Dockyard; length 100 feet, breadth 24 feet depth 12¼ feet; construction iron shell and floors, steel framing; five watertight bulkheads; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £7,230; sold in 1966 to T.E. McSweeney and converted into a Youth Adventure Sea Training Vessel, renamed Hallowe'en. Converted to a schooner and renamed Artic Penguin sold to Mr D. Norris, 1982.

28.Tern
Built 1911/12 by L. Hawthorn & Co, Leith; length 102 feet, breadth 24 feet, depth 13¼ feet; construction iron shell and floors, steel framing; five watertight bulkheads; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; masts for wireless; cost £7,420; sold in 1967 to Hammond Lane, Dublin and scrapped.

29.Petrel
Built 1913/15 by Dublin Dockyard; length 102 feet, breadth 24 feet, depth 13¼ feet; construction iron shell and floors, steel framing; five watertight bulkheads; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; masts for wireless; cost £10,310; sold in 1968 to Hammond Lane, Dublin who in turn sold it to the Down Cruising Club, Strangford Lough. Converted to a Club House. Towed to Strangford Lough entrance by ILT Isolda.

30.Guillemot
Built 1921/23 by Cran & Somerville, Leith; length 102 feet, breadth 24 feet, depth 12½ feet; construction all steel; five watertight bulkheads; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; masts for wireless; cost £17,700; sold in 1968 to Wexford Maritime Museum Committee. Towed by ILT Atlanta to Rosslare. Taken in tow over Wexford Harbour Bar. Moored alongside quay at Wexford. Subsequently moved to Kilmore Quay and set in concrete.

31.Albatross
Built 1924/25 by H. Robb Ltd, Leith; length 102 feet, breadth 24 feet, depth 13¼ feet; construction iron shell and floors, steel framing; five watertight bulkheads; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; cost £15,650; sold in 1970 to the Scout Association of Ireland. Moored in Dun Laoghaire Harbour. Subsequently moved to Grand Canal Basin. Painted with luminous paint and moored in Scotsman's Bay, Dun Laoghaire for Dorothy Cross's 'Ghost Ship' (International Nissan Art Project Award) in February 1999. Returned to Dublin Port. Purchased by James Tyrrell and moved to Arklow in 2000.

32.Gannet
Built 1953/54 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth; length 134 feet, breadth 25 feet, depth 15 feet; constructed of steel; cost £95,200; remains in Service, converted to automatic light float 1980/81.

33.Osprey
Built 1953/55 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth; length 134 feet, breadth 25 feet, depth 15 feet; constructed of steel; cost £98,100; sold on 9th May 1975 to New Ross Harbour Commissioners, as a floating oil berth, pilot station and harbour store. Towed by ILT Isolda to Dunmore East. Sold by New Ross Harbour Commissioners in March 1998. Moved to Paris and moored on the Seine as the Batofar Restaurant specialising in British pub food.

34.Shearwater
Built 1954/55 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth; length 134 feet, breadth 25 feet, depth 15 feet; constructed of steel; cost £98,100; sold May 1976 to Birds (Swansea) Ltd for scrap. Towed away 29 May 1976.

35.Kittiwake
Built 1957/59 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth; length 134 feet, breadth 25 feet, depth 15 feet; constructed of steel; cost £124,128; remains in Service, converted to automatic light float 1981. Sold out of Service in 2007. Now moored beside the Point Depot in Dublin.

36.Skua
Built 1957/60 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth; length 134 feet, breadth 25 feet, depth 15 feet; constructed of steel; cost £124,128; converted to automatic light float 1981/82. Sold to Arklow Shipping in May 2005.

37.Cormorant
Built 1963/64 by Charles Hill, Bristol; length 133 feet, breadth 26½ feet, depth 19½ feet; constructed of steel; cost £145,750; sold to Trinity House for book value of IR£166,505;towed away from Dun Laoghaire by THV Winston Churchill 9th February 1983.