LOCK QUAY BRIDGE LIMERICK

Street Photography By William Murphy

LOCK QUAY BRIDGE


Description: Single-arch hump-back red brick and limestone canal bridge, erected in 1757, crossing the canal at Lock Quay canal harbour. In use as footbridge. Rubble limestone and red brick west elevation laid in English garden wall bond, with red brick parapet wall and brick coping rising from a moulded limestone stringcourse, returning on the curve along quay sides. Limestone ashlar faced east elevation with wrought-iron railed parapet having spearhead finials, c. 1800, returning on the curve along quaysides. Gauged red brick slightly pointed arch springing from squared limestone block faced quay walls. Limestone ashlar abutment piers. Limestone setts to carriageway, c. 1995. Bridge gives access to nineteenth-century multiple-bay two-storey limestone rubble buildings to the north of the canal.

Appraisal: This fine bridge was restored by Limerick Civic Trust, and survives as one of the only hump-back bridges, along with Baal's Bridge to survive in Limerick City. It is of great significance in its own right and within the context of the canal lock. It marked a further advancement of the City beyond the walls. The adjacent derelict buildings to the north side, which may have operated as a lock keeper's house, and the industrial buildings to the northeast, including Russell's and the former canal brewery form a group with the bridge.

SORRY FOR THE DELAY