SAINT ALPHONSUS LIGOURI REDEMPTORIST CHURCH

Street Photography By William Murphy

SAINT ALPHONSUS LIGOURI REDEMPTORIST CHURCH

The Redemptorists were established in 1732 by the Italian Alphonsus Liguori, who was later canonised. The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorists) was finally approved by Pope Benedict XIV in 1749.

This church was built to the designs of Thomas Hardwick and the work was supervised by William Edward Corbett. Wallace was the builder. The foundation stone was laid on the 30th May 1858, and the church was dedicated to Saint Alphonsus on the 7th December 1862.

The church cost £17,000. George Goldie designed the high altar for the Redemptorist Fathers which was unveiled and dedicated on the 15th October 1865. Goldie and Child were the architects responsible for the design of the tower and spire. It cost £7,550. The builder was Ryan & Son. George Coppinger Ashlin in 1890 and in 1893 carried out decorative work and in 1926, Ashlin and Coleman painted the interior dome.

Saint Alphonsus Roman Catholic church is located within the parish of Saint Joseph, which was established in 1973. The Redemptorists came to Limerick in 1851, moving from various temporary situations, until the execution of this church on Mount Saint Alphonsus. The Mission cross, located to the right of the door, was donated by the Drapers Assistants. Sculpture to façade by Michael Pearse and Sons. The bell tower completed in the succeeding decades, and was paid for by Mr. John Quin, a local merchant.

SORRY FOR THE DELAY