While the central park of St. Stephen’s Green is one of three ancient commons in the city, its current layout owes much to the restorations of the 1800’s (see History above).
Some key features:
(A) Fusilier’s Arch
(B) O’Donovan Rossa
(C) O’Connell Bridge
(D) WolfeTone & Famine Memorial
(E) Lord Ardilaun
(I) 3 Fates
The grounds are roughly rectangular, measuring (approximately) 550 by 450 metres, and are centred on a formal garden.
One of the more unusual aspects of the park lies on the north west corner of this central area – a garden for the blind with scented plants, which can withstand handling, and are labelled in Braille.
Further north again (and spanning much of the length of the park) is a large lake. Home to ducks and other water fowl, the lake is fed by an artificial water fall, spanned by O’Connell bridge, and fronted by an ornamental gazebo. The lakes in the park are fed from the Grand Canal at Portbello.
To the south side of the main garden circle is more open heath surrounding a bandstand, and often frequented by lunching students, workers and shoppers on Dublin’s sunnier days.
Other notable features and include:
- The Fusilier’s Arch (first termed “Traitors Gate” by Redmondites) at the Grafton Street corner which commemorates the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who lost their lives in Second Boer War.
- A group representing the Three Fates inside the Leeson Street gate (a gift from the German people in thanks for Irish help to refugees after World War II)
- A seated statue of Lord Ardilaun on the western side, the man who gave the Green to the city, facing the College of Surgeons which he also sponsored
- The Yeats memorial garden with a sculpture by Henry Moore
- A bust of James Joyce facing his former university at Newman House
- A memorial to the Fenian leader Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa near the Grafton Street entrance
- A bronze statue at the Merrion Row corner of Theobald Wolfe Tone, the leader of 1798. Flanked by monoliths, it was immediately nicknamed ‘Tonehenge‘.
- A memorial to the great famine of 1845-1850 by Edward Delaney
- A bust of Constance Markievicz on the south of the central garden
- A statue of Robert Emmet standing opposite his birthplace (now demolished) at No 124.