STREET ART TRIBUTE TO GEORGE BERNARD SHAW – SYNGE STREET OFF THE SOUTH CIRCULAR ROAD
On Synge Street this work by FINK pays tribute to George Bernard Shaw, who was born just across the street at No.33. The museum that occupied the birthplace of the Nobel Prize winner has been closed to the public since 2012.
Synge Street is located in what once was the Jewish quarter of Dublin a part of the city steeped in history. It is claimed by some historians that the street was named after the Church of Ireland Bishop Edward Synge of Elphin who owned property in the area at the time of his death in 1762. The Bishop was a great-great-great granduncle of John Millington Synge, the famous Playboy of the Western World who wrote The Playboy of the Western World.
The famous Synge Street School, founded in 1864 by the Christian Brothers, has been based in the area ever since it was established.