BROADSTONE AREA 2017

PHOTOGRAPHED DURING 2017

BROADSTONE AREA OF DUBLIN

Broadstone is one of the three neighbourhoods that make up present-day Phibsboro. The most southerly of these, Broadstone, lies just two km due north of the Liffey Bridge at Ormond Quay Dublin, Ireland. The area is triangular, bounded by Phibsborough Road and Constitution Hill to the West, North Circular Road to the north, and Dorset Street and Bolton Street to the south-east. The postal district for the area is Dublin 7.

Broadstone is home to a number of landmarks such as the Black Church (St. Mary's Chapel of Ease), King's Inns, The Broadstone Station, the Blessington Street Basin, Berkeley Road Church (St.Joseph), and Royal Canal Bank. Much of the area was originally part of the Grangegorman estate, the demesne, manor house and grounds of the Monck Minogue Stanley family.

The area consists of streets of small and mid-sized red-brick houses built after the development of the G.W.R. a century after the building of early Georgian Dublin in neighbouring Mountjoy prior to the Act of Union 1801. One notable aspect of Georgian architecture retained in these modest homes was the ornate doorways with half-circle fanlights.

Broadstone does not have a village centre or main street. The Railway Terminus was the focal point of the neighbourhood. Broadstone's importance was derived came from its location as one of Dublin's six railway termini.

The Luas Cross City line (connecting the Green line with the Red line and continuing on to Broombridge Railway Station along the old Broadstone Railway line) will by the end of this year serve the DIT Campus in Grangegorman. This development will connect Broadstone Plaza from Constitution Hill to Grangegorman.