MATT TALBOT MEMORIAL – AT THE TALBOT MEMORIAL BRIDGE DUBLIN
The statue of Matt Talbot shown here had been removed for a while because of construction activities in the area.
The Talbot Memorial Bridge bridge spanning the River Liffey in Dublin. Completed in 1978, it is 22 metres (72 feet) wide, and was designed by De Leuw, Chadwick and O’hEocha Consulting Engineers. The bridge links Memorial Road (and Custom House Quay) on the north bank of the river to Moss Street (and City Quay) on the south bank. Memorial Road was named in commemoration of those members of the Dublin Brigade who died during the Irish War of Independence – notably those who died in a raid on the nearby Custom House. The “Talbot” reference in the bridge’s name is in remembrance of Matt Talbot a statue of whom stands at the south end of the bridge. During the Second World War, in particular, Irish seamen knowingly risked their lives to bring essential supplies home to Ireland, a neutral country. From a small fleet, 16 ships were lost to unprovoked attacks – by aircraft, mines and torpedoes – and 136 men died. The Talbot Memorial Bridge is also a memorial to these ordinary and, at once, extraordinary Dubliners and Irishmen.
Matt Talbot (2 May 1856 – 7 June 1925) was an Irish ascetic revered by many Catholics for his piety, charity and mortification of the flesh.
Talbot was an unskilled labourer. Though he has not been formally recognised as a saint, Talbot may be considered a patron of those struggling with alcoholism. He is commemorated on 19 June.