OSCAR WILDE – MERRION SQUARE
Image by infomatique
Merrion Square (Cearnóg Mhuirfean in Irish) is situated on the south side of Dublin city centre and is considered one of the city’s finest Georgian squares. The square was laid out between 1762 and 1764.
Several notable buildings face on to the square, including Leinster House (seat of the Irish parliament), the Natural History building of the National Museum of Ireland and the National Gallery of Ireland. The Irish Red Cross and the Football Association of Ireland have their headquarters on the square.
The park in the square is properly known as Archbishop Ryan Park. The land was a gift from the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Dublin, Dermot Ryan, to the city of Dublin. Now managed by Dublin City Council, it contains a statue of Oscar Wilde, who resided in One, Merrion Square from 1855 to 1876, many other sculptures and a collection of old Dublin lamp standards.
Up until about 50 years ago it was largely residential, but today most of the houses are used for office accommodation.