St. Patrick’s Parade 2011 – Behind The Scenes Activities
Image by infomatique
Lord Mayor’s State Coach (The State Coach of the Lord Mayor of Dublin)
The Lord Mayor’s Coach was built in 1789 by William Whitton, of Dominick Street, and made its first appearance on the streets of Dublin on 4 November 1791 in an annual event to mark the birthday of William III. The elaborately decorated coach far exceeded its original budget and was completed for a total cost of £2,690 13s 5d. The Coach was used for ceremonial occasions up until 1932 when, due to its poor condition, it was placed in storage. Following expert restoration, the Coach returned to public life in 1976 and is a feature of Dublin’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parade.