1935 – Sinclairs Department Store, Royal Avenue, Belfast
Image by infomatique
[Corrected 26-06-2013] Sinclair’s was one of Belfast’s most prestigious department stores. The store on Royal Avenue as seen today was built in 1926 in the classical style. By 1935, Sinclair’s was extended with an Art Deco-style addition by Belfast-born architect James Scott, who had previously designed the 1926 building.
During the troubles, the main shopping area around Royal Avenue was pedestrianised with security gates to prevent car-bombs. Sinclair’s was attacked on 12 July 1971 with an explosive device. As a consequence of the troubles, trade was much reduced, and the store closed in 1972. [Grade B+ Listed]