COLLINS BARRACKS MUSEUM DUBLIN
Image by infomatique
Collin’s Barracks is a former military barracks in the Arbour Hill area of Dublin, Ireland. Housing both British armed forces, and Irish army garrisons through three centuries, the barracks are the oldest continuously occupied example in the world.
Originally called simply The Barracks, and later The Royal Barracks, the name was changed to Collins Barracks when handed over to the Irish Free State in 1922.Built in 1702, and further extended in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the complex’s main buildings are neo-classical in style. Since 1997 the barracks have been home to collections of the National Museum of Ireland (for Decorative Arts and History exhibits), and the original structures have seen some award winning redevelopment and conservation work to support this new role.
Collin’s barracks is fronted by the red luas tram line (Museum stop), a Memorial Garden at Croppies Acre marking the 1798 rebellion, and the River Liffey.