RAILWAY STATION – DUBLIN HEUSTON STATION
Image by infomatique
Dublin Heuston, commonly called Heuston Station, is one of Ireland’s main railway stations, serving the south, southwest and west. It is operated by Iarnród Éireann (IE), the national railway operator. It also houses the head office of IE’s parent company, Córas Iompair Éireann (CIÉ).
The station opened on 4 August 1846 as the terminus and headquarters of the Great Southern and Western Railway (GS&WR). It was originally called Kingsbridge Station from the nearby Kings Bridge over the Liffey, but was renamed in 1966 after Sean Heuston, an Easter Rising leader who had worked in the station offices.
Designed by Sancton Wood, the handsome original buildings remain.