FLOWER BED IN PEOPLES PARK, DUN LAIGHAIRE
Image by infomatique
Early maps show a "Gymnasium" in the eastern side of the park. This is taken to be a synonym for "playground". By the 1930’s this area appears to have been converted to a small plant nursery. A hard surfaced playground with swings and a slide was subsequently erected in the north eastern corner of the park probably in the 1950’s. A "Garden for the Blind" feature was added in co-operation with the local Rotary Club. It features a selection of plants, which, by virtue of their texture and fragrance may be appreciated and indentified through senses other than the visual.
The old 1950’s playground was dismantled in 1988. It was replaced by a modern playground constructed for greater safety and versatility in the same year, on the original "Gymnasium" site.
The Victorian shelter was repaired and the bandstand was fully restored in 1990 to mark the park’s centenary.
The event was celebrated on 29th September 1990 when the Park was formally re-dedicated. In 1997 the Victorian shelter was converted to the Park Tea Rooms which is now a very popular local restaurant/coffee shop. This has contributed greatly to the use and enjoyment of the park.
The park was conceived as a formal recreation area in Victorian times. Despite fairly radical alteration to the pathway system, it still retains that ambience. It is enclosed on two sides by formal stonewalls and piers with ornate wrought iron railings and gates. Its eastern side adjoins private properties and is composed mostly of rock outcrop, which serves as a reminder of its original use as a quarry. Its final boundary with "The Metals" consists of a more recent railing.